What is Tension Myositis Syndrome?
Tension Myositis Syndrome is a disorder affects musculoskeletal neurology often occur due to the maladaptive protective mechanism of the subconscious mind. Therefore, Tension Myositis Syndrome is a psychogenic condition associated with increased muscle tension, resultant of that produce chronic pain. In 1970 Dr. John Sarno first diagnosed this disorder and thought that the condition may source of pain disorders1,2.
In the recent scenario, pain syndrome, especially back pain is an epidemic issue. According to Dr. John Sarno concept, in human, the subconscious mind has several unsettled conflicts and emotional repressions. these perceptive and reserved emotions are the primary cause of the epidemic of back pain.
The cause of Tension Myositis Syndrome is occurred due to emotional stress influence the autonomous nervous system and outcome of this cause inhibition of blood circulation to the muscular tissue and adjoined nervous tissue and connective tissue.
Oxygen deprivation occurs in the muscular tissue due to insufficient blood flow and that causes pain generation.
The intense emotional mind-set like anxiety, rage or anger suppression indirectly affect the physiological system and that produce physical effects.
The pain interferes the physical activity and that again cause psycho-emotional issues. The feeling of pain alleviate with releasing the stress, however, reorganization of correlation is usually difficult to understand.
If patient or doctor find out the exact connection and solve the repressed issues, then the pain syndrome can resolve1,2.
- Tension Myositis Syndrome symptoms have a vast range, which extends from mild to severe. Pain is the primary symptom of Tension Myositis Syndrome, but usually, the pain is not constant, but episodic in nature
- Most of the patients with Tension Myositis Syndrome have back pain or it may localize in other areas also
- Apart from pain, feeling of tingling sensation, numbness, weakness, and stiffness are also associated in the affected area.
- Pain symptom can move from one part to another part of the body, even pain in upper portion of the backside can move to lower part and vice versa
- Traditional pain relieving treatment unable to resolve the pain syndrome
- The pain symptom suddenly worsen or get flare-ups, which may not associate with any physical effort1
- Some patient experience pain relief by taking a short vacation
- Apart from back pain, chronic arm pain also common in patient with Tension Myositis Syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Temporal mandibular jaw malfunction (TMJ)
- Muscle and soft tissue pain (Fibromyalgia)1
- Direct witness of violence
- Neglected at childhood
- Sexually abused
- Excessive domineering
- Too much meticulousness or perfectionism related to acceptance
- Extreme stress in life
- Chronic illness
- Negative environment, which influences pessimistic thought process2,4
The following measures can manage Tension Myositis Syndrome:
The recognition of psychological and physical bonding is very essential. This can provide an understanding of stress can cause pain syndrome in the body. So affected individual if try to release mental stress, then it will help to control structural injury and lessen associated pain symptoms.
Diary maintaining or record keeping is a very important step to burst out stress. Keeping on records by mentioning – What fear haunt you? What past record always increase your stress level? Who don’t you like? Any fault which harasses you? All these records keeping by writing on a diary helps to the reduction of emotional stress and subsequently, pain symptom gets relaxed.
Meditation is a good solution to stress release. Every day 10 minutes meditation is sufficient for relaxation of mind. The basic rule of meditation is to stay quiet and alone and release your all though aside and completely empty your mind. Some people prefer to do mediation in a closed room, but some may do it in a quite open ground, where nature provide a beautiful environment with full of oxygen supply to relax and release all the psychological stress.
Music therapy also helps to release stress. Listening to soulful music or playing soft music for 10 to 15 minutes without involving your brain is also improve the condition.
Positive attitude often prevents the increase of stress level. Always do some positive thinking against some negative mishaps. Emotional pain is more powerful to physical destruction and reduces physical strength. Therefore, once mindset should be such that negative environment does not create any emotional stress, which decreases oxygen supply to any organ.
Mental state influence physical status and vice versa. Physical exercise provide feel good mind and that improve oxygen supply and help to remove pain symptoms1,3.
Controversy of existence
Some experts believe that back pain or another symptom may be misdiagnosed as Tension Myositis syndrome. Lack of sufficient scientific data also provides a question mark on the existence of the Tension Myositis syndrome1.
- Tension Myositis Syndrome; http://www.tensionmyositissyndrome.org/
- TMS Pain Relief; Tension Myoneural Syndrome; MindBody Soultions to Pain; http://www.mindbodymedicine.com/
- Justin Bennett; How to Cure TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome); How i beat RSI; http://www.howibeatrsi.com/how-to-cure-tms-tension-myositis-syndrome/
- Tension Myositis Syndrome; The Back Pain Authority; http://www.cure-back-pain.org/tension-myositis-syndrome.html