What is Amotivational Syndrome?
The amotivational syndrome is a known psychological health condition that is characterized by losing of interest in social endeavors and participation in activities. There is apathy among the affected and somehow cannot be explained. Most say that this said syndrome is reported to be a result from a long term abuse of cannabis (component marijuana). However, other studies greatly reject that proposition as surveys show.
A Person Exhibiting Amotivational Syndrome Simply Lacking Interest in Most Things
The presenting symptoms of amotivational syndrome are the following:
- The affected tends to become an introvert. This is defined as keeping oneself less sociable and is preoccupied to own thoughts. They avoid social interactions as much as possible.
- The person may become passive at work. Their motivational force is not that effective that can assist them to work properly.
- They tend to avoid competition, even though it is a healthy one.
- The affected tends to become less energetic and their attention is not full when you communicate with them.
- The patient tends to be apathetic. They show restricted emotions and feelings when the situation requires more from them. Interest to such concerning event is somehow neglected by the affected. This simply means that the client is indifferent with every situation or scenario.
- Their concentration is disturbed. Concentration becomes reduced in social activities.
Amotivational syndrome is believed to be caused by the chronic use of marijuana. This has been studied for some time and it has been suggested that cannabis induces the said psychological syndrome. But there have been some speculations that the chronic use of cannabis is not the direct cause of amotivational syndrome.
In fact, only a small amount of those marijuana users experience amotivational syndrome. This is because of the fact that a history of depressive disorder is also identified. There are also some propositions that drug abuse can result to amotivational syndrome. In conclusion, the root cause of amotivational syndrome is dependent and is not concrete.
Treatment for amotivational syndrome is aimed in alleviating the said manifestations by providing preventive measures. Since there is no definite cause of the syndrome, the following are proposed as helpful in the treatment course:
- Lifestyle change is a must. There are a number of unhealthy practices which needs attention. Use of prohibited drugs should be stopped in order to have a clean lifestyle and avoid the probable existence of amotivational syndrome. The use of cannabis should not be practiced.
- Compliance with the treatment regimen and prescription should be followed. With this, the patient can be assisted in every way that he or she has difficulty with like in changing one’s lifestyle. The follow up check-ups can also assist the client to fast recovery and concerns about the treatment can be taken action directly.
- When the client is a known cannabis user, they shall be a required to attend a special rehabilitative therapy. This shall aim on eradicating the addiction and to help the client to completely lose the habit. The abuse of other drugs shall also be treated with this therapy.
- Psychoanalysis is also offered to clients who have problems with addiction. This can help them in dealing with their emotional problems.
- Behavior therapy is provided to clients in order to reduce the stress and anxiety they are experiencing. As these behavioral problems may have caused the condition, they are assisted withtechniques that deal with these unhealthy emotions. They are taught of relaxation techniques and self-control methods which are very helpful in the process.
- Emotional support from the family members and close individuals of the affected should be provided. This can assist the client in the process of recuperation and in dealing with the syndrome. As the syndrome tends to attack the client, it is ideal that his or her close relations are supportive in the healing process.